Saturday, April 19, 2008

Silence of the Lambs, 28 Days Later, The Bone Collector




I recently saw three movies that are very similar. So why not talk about them altogether?


28 Days Later, a horror flick the movie employee picked out for me because it's "not so gory," tells a story very similar to that of Will Smith's recent film I Am Legend. The movie had enough of a story line to keep us interested until the end, if the special effects didn't quite match up to par. They had enough surprise moments to make me scream at least once. Although there is nudity in the beginning that is completely unneeded.


The Bone Collector, a less famous film starring Denzel Washington followed the story of a serial killer who leaves clues behind for a handicapped slueth to find via a rooky cop, played by Angelina Jolie. As usual, Denzel fills up the screen, and the clues left behind are very intriguing. However, the end is a little far fetched, to say the least.


Last, and probably most famous of the movies I've seen this week was Silence of the Lambs. With a very similar plot to The Bone Collector, Silence of the Lambs got more hype, and with good reason. Although the serial killer aspect of it is a teeny bit over the top (yeah it's creepy, but Buffalo Bill, a transvestite who kills fat women for their skins? Come on!) the acting was great. Jodie Foster plays her best role I've ever seen her do, but Anthony Hopkins steals the show. From the moment he appears on screen, Hopkins is the epitamy of creep. However, although the audience is perfectly aqcuainted with the fact that he eats other people, Hannibal Lecter is almost likeable. And his classic line at the end, "I'm having an old friend for dinner," comes off more as comical than creepy.


At the end of the week, part of me was happy, but part was a little disappointed with the movie making industry. Each of these movies was very entertaining. They all had fine acting, intruiging plots, and satisfying endings. But would I watch them again? Would I buy these movies and watch them over and over? Probably not. Perhaps I would watch Silence of the Lambs one last time, if only to see the performances of our two main heroes, but definitely not for the suspense brought on by Buffalo Bill, or the hokey bit about how Foster wants to save the women because she couldn't "silence the lambs" that her relative slaughtered when she was a child.


One thing these somewhat scary flicks had that new ones seem to have lost: They all have happy endings.

6 comments:

PastaKeith said...

Bone Collector - 4.5 of 5. I had no clue where this was going. Denzel is one of my favorites.
28 days later - freaky. all that puking and blood? 3.5 of 5. The finale was exciting, but it was a bit more twisted than i prefer.
Silence - 4.5 of 5. the writer of the book is obviously troubled. go check out malcolm gladwell's blog... a post called suspicious minds, about the accuracy of criminal profilers. interesting read.

i saw silence in 1992, or around then. I think the language would bug me today... also... I think this movie added to the generally increasing weirdness in our culture today. odd. but compelling.

probably would never re-watch it.

have you seen kiss the girls?

MandyGee said...

28 Days Later - the puking and blood was gross. And there was quite a bit of swearing. I think more than Silence of the Lambs. And there was random nudity. It's definitely not my kind of movie...

I haven't seen Kiss the Girls. Was it good? That's with Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd?

Yeah. Bone Collector would not have been good without Denzel...

Chris said...

Hi Mandy,

I just wanted to chime in on "Silence". I, too, am not a huge fan of horror films. They always leave me feeling like I just wasted an hour and a half to two hours I can't get back. I love movies, dramas in particular. Horrors seem pointless and not my idea of entertainment. Hopkins was very good in his role, though, and I agree that this is Foster at her best. They both won Oscars for their roles in this film which won a total of 5 that year.

Two things I wanted to tell you: One - parts of this movie were filmed in this area (Rural Valley, to be exact). I graduated high school in Ford City from Lenape Vo-Tech in 1991 and remember classmates from the area that were extras and can be seen briefly.
Two - Buffalo Bill is definitely over the top but is based on a real serial killer named Ed Gein. The killer from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is also based on Gein who did kill women for their skin. I guess sometimes real life can be scarier than fiction.

Do not waste your time and watch the sequel to Silence of the Lambs. "Hannibal" I thought, was over the top gory and I even looked away because it was quite revolting in parts. Foster isn't in it either.
Red Dragon, The follow-up to both was pretty good. Ed Norton, as the FBI agent to catch Hannibal Lecter, did a great job. He is, in my opinion, a really good actor. I did not waste my time on Hannibal Rising, which had someone else as a young Lecter, I think.

MandyGee said...

Hello Chris!

I did not know Buffalo Bill was based off a real person. How creepy. I didn't watch any of the other Hannibals because I'm not really into gore at all. Especially just for the sake of being gory. It's one thing if you have gore in a war movie, but horrors are usually too over the top!

I like Ed Norton. He's good.

Is this Chris Morris?

Chris said...

Hi Mandy,
No, this is Chris Thompson (Taylor's dad). I was looking on your dads' blogs and stumbled on yours (and others) blogs. I hope you don't mind me stopping by! I just love movies and am a bit of of a pop-culture junkie. (I should be on a game show!!) If it's ok, I might take a break from all the political blogs and stop in from time to time and add my 2 cents on your critiques.

Chris said...

What is it with Armstrong County and horror movies being shot here? This was in today's paper (4-30-08):
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/leadertimes/s_565037.html

Of course, the most famous horror flick to be filmed in Western PA was George Romero's Night of the Living Dead. It was shot in Butler County.